Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Never let me go- Wow.

Never let me go is by far the biggest page turner of all three books that we have read for ENGL 387. Reading is usually a struggle for me because I always fail in allowing myself get completely emmersed in a book, but with Never let me go it could not have been further from the truth. Maybe it's because my name is in it that I seem to be biased, but I would argue that it's because of the realistic nature of the book that I love.

We often talk in this class about being able to "relate" to characters, and while we came to the conclusion that you don't have to be like someone/thing to relate to them, I can't help but feel the most attached with this book. It drives my curiousity and it makes me think.

A professor of mine had said once "no tears in the writer, no tears in the reader". I have no necessarily cried just yet, however the amount of emotion and intrigue that has been sparked by what I have read so far in this book is staggering.

Ishiguro's depiction of what life is like as young students at school was spot on. Through his descriptions (which are wonderful), seeing what life was like at Hailsham is more than seeing, I find my self re-experiencing it.

1 comment:

  1. It was also clear in class today that you were engaged with the text.

    ReplyDelete